market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] More snow...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland and Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] More snow...
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:57:18 -0400

Here in Dominica dry season started in January this year instead of usual March-April. (Usual end is mid-late June when "hurricane season" kicks in.) So dry and hot with desiccating winds and changes of moon not bringing usual relief. Luckily, we are highly diversified so some plants will get through and we are adaptable so so shall we. " Crisis/opportunity" and all that: helps highlight priorities differently. Water catchment/irrigation a must, not an option, etc.
All best wishes,

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

David Tannen wrote:

Weather is strange here too. I am in middle Tennessee. Our last frost is usually April 10th. Most consider the 15th a safe time to plant. The redbuds and dogwoods all blossomed around the 5th or 6th; another good sign to plant. Our temps were pretty normal up until the 22nd or 23rd with highs in the mid 70's to low 80's. Then the temps changed to highs in the 60's, lows in the mid 40's, cloudy and lots of rain. On April 25th we had a freeze while I was out of town visiting family. I lost all my tomatoes, peppers and potatoes. The last time my area had a freeze on April 25th was in 1910. The weather since has been highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s with almost constant rain and very little sun.
I will replant the tomatoes and peppers as soon as the rain stops. I'm hoping the potatoes will come back. As Willy says, "Onward through the fog."

David