market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] the best bed shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] the best bed shaper
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:48:38 -0600

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:43:21AM -0500, robert schuler wrote:
> If you go to Market Farm Implements web page look up bed shapers and click
> on
> the Lesche Bedder. I can tell you absolutely positively and beyond a shadow
> of
> doubt that this bedder which needs only a few HP to pull will be just right
> for
> running seeders like the planet jr. There are hundreds of these bedders in
> use
> in my county, just about everyone who direct seeds on beds uses them.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I do have this pipe roller thing kinda
"gripped in my teeth" now.

> BTW the iron pipe used as a drag leveler is a good idea, most folks around
> here
> pull them behind disc harrows to level ground before drilling grain. 6"
> round
> well pipe does a good job. I had tried 6" I-beam and its doesn't work well..

I pull a piece of railroad rail behind a 8' disk; that works pretty
well.

The pipe roller I have in mind will roll on an axle and not pull the
bed down like a non-rolling drag would. I think the discs on the ends
will help keep it rolling rather than dragging. At least, that's how
it is shaping up in my mind. Such as it is.

What other interesting implements to ya'll New Jerseyians have for us
out here in the hinterlands? Did I tell you that I bought one of those
Pennsylvania IH 274s you put me on? STILL haven't gotten cultivators
set up on it.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 239 days 21 hours 43 minutes