market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bed shapers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bed shapers
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 05:47:55 -0600

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:01:28PM -0600, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> > "Stick Planter": My green pea planting was a failure. Birds dug out
> > and ate 90+%. So far, I have planted 1/2 row of okra and 1/2 row of
> > sweet corn with it; about 200-300' each. Into killed weeds and crop
> > residue. Nothing up yet.
>
> Willie, how you planting so early? Was nice today but you think winter is
> over for us? Be raining on us here tomorrow. Sweet corn maybe but Okra?
> Coerce all our pepper is still in the greenhouse. Our onions are looking
> good. TB>

Well, Bill, I did say "1/2 row". I'll be planting about 20 rows of
okra; the amount of corn will depend on labor supply. Right now,
spinach is going un-picked due to lack of labor.

I do not have much hope for the okra, but the corn is likely to be OK.
Before July, okra demand is high and it is VERY easy to sell, so, I
want to get it going as early as possible. We may be a week ahead of
ya'll; we are only about a week from our median last freeze date.
Ya gotta work with "global warming".

We just planted the last of the potatoes, none up yet. Onions are
looking good. The garlic looks better. Asparagus production has
picked up; we've been picking some asparagus for 6 or 7 weeks now.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 239 days 18 hours 37 minutes