market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bed shapers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bed shapers
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:50:31 -0500

I put buster plows on 1"x3" shanks. When it's time to build beds, I take
another buster plow, turn it upside down, and set it on top of each of the
busters that are already mounted on the shanks. No bolting necessary,
they'll stay in place. These additional upside down busters insure that the
maximum amount of dirt is thrown onto the bed. When It's time to plant, I
have busters mounted in front of the opening plow. I set them level and a
little higher than the seed tube opening. This levels the beds, scrapes off
the dry layer of dirt, and makes a nice surface for the opening plow to go
through and drop the seeds, all at the same time. If I need to replant, I
often take the busters off and just use the opening plow by its self. If I
need to scrap off more dry dirt, then I leave the busters on.

Mark, What your post did was help me realize just how much more I have to learn about cultivation implements! What are these 'buster plows'? It doesn't seem that they are what I'm GOOGLING as 'buster plows' and require a 4-pt hitch. What are they? What do they cost? Where do you get them? Thanks -Ă…llan