market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Business-Gross Profits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Business-Gross Profits
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:36:35 -0700

Most would probably agree that a business sense and sound principles are
needed in any business. But direct food sales - farm to consumer - IS
something other than commodity production and marketing. It's not like
buying off the supermarket shelf at all. To be successful it needs to be
treated as relationship, the grower's connection to the buyer. It's the
difference between buying a car off the lot and buying from a friend or
neighbor. Buying from someone you come to know and trust is that
difference. They're not just buying beans or tomatoes, they're buying into
a relationship. This can be important to buyers, and growers who don't
value that personal connection are missing something that may well save
their bottom line. I suspect successful market farmers know this very well.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net