market-farming - [Market-farming] frost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] frost
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:01:45 -0500

We are located in Central MN (north of Alexandria).  I do not think there will be a locally grown organic melon to be found this season in Central MN.  I decided to have my interns go down to market on Friday night while I stayed back to deal with the frost. I am so glad that I did.  I ended up calling up family and some of our CSA members to help out that night.  Every ounce of energy we put in helped out..
   I had a dream two nights before the frost.  In it I covered all my tomato plants with a huge sheet of plastic and lit little fires underneath.  Then the night before the frost I dreamed that it started snowing.  My subconscience was definately telling me to get my butt in gear and do something.  If I would not have stayed back we would have lost thousands of dollars worth of peppers and tomatoes.  I shed some tears the way it was, but otherwise it would have been sooo hard to put a seed into the ground next year.  So the lesson---TAKE TIME TO LISTEN TO YOUR PLANTS, YOUR LAND, AND YOUR DREAMS. .. and of course, PRAY LIKE HECK!!!