market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] frost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] frost
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:10:53 -0500

Regards to the list:

We’ve been wondering if we’ll also have a very early frost considering
how cool the weather is now. I would like to hear more about burning
the alfalfa bales for frost protection, especially since we’re on bottom
ground. Some questions I can think of are: are they large or small
bales, are they placed around the perimeter, at what point would one set
them on fire and how do you protect the surrounding area from catching
fire? We only have so much row cover and if we could burn bales, maybe
there is hope for our fall garden.

Marie in Missouri

  Also, afterwards a farmer spoke about starting his alfalfa bales on
fire and the smoke from them created enough of a blanket to protect the
plants.  Has anyone tried this?
    --Gary Brever