market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Rules and Regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Rupiper" <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Rules and Regulations
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 05:45:42 -0400

Here in Southern Ohio we are having the State inspector follow the local health department checking on market practices. The information is changing week to week. Many vendors are annoyed (including me). It seems that now if any whole product (i.e. green beans) that is placed into a bag at the farm and brought to the market, it must have a cottage industry "home produced at, ingredients, and name and phone number". The big guys who buy from other sources and have certified scales at the market (bulk sales) are exempt. Many other things are also going on. Anyone selling eggs must meet all the labeling, etc and have their chickens inspected.
My request to the group. Would people from Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, West Virginia, etc. Give me a spot to look up your regulations off line? Thank you.

  • [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Rules and Regulations, Pat Rupiper, 08/25/2004