market-farming - [Market-farming] Striped Acorn Squash -- how do you know they are ripe?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Striped Acorn Squash -- how do you know they are ripe?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:32:35 -0400

Hi, Folks!

I toss my squash seeds in areas of the garden that aren't used much -- I like seeing what comes up and the plants tend to either thrive with no care at all or succumb the minute the cucumber beetles hatch -- natural selection at its finest! ;-)

Besides some amazing pumpkins this year (definitely will re-sprinkle those seeds), I'm getting the most amazing varieties of acorn-like squashes. I know to pick the green ones when the belly turns bright orange, but when do I pick the green/white striped squash or the orange/green striped squash or the bright yellow acorns? None of these have orange bellies!

I never grew those varieties on purpose it's too easy for the vine borers to get them (some of them are almost completely eaten through and yet the plant keeps chugging along just great!) so I'm rather clueless as to know if they are ripe or not.

(Yes, these experiments have also given me some squash so hard, I'm considering them gourds -- I've got a funky orange/green one that came up in my tomatoes and an absolutely GORGEOUS mini-pumpkin-like (only solid) white squash with gold stripes down the ribs -- it's harder than most gourds I've seen, so they will probably never rot and I'll never get the seeds out, but if I knew what I had done, I'd definitely try for that one again!)

Thanks for your help -- so far, everyone is storing great!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of