market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] frost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] frost
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:42:42 -0400

Geesh, Gary - Where are you located? -Allan

This past weekend we had frost--earliest frost in 50 years. We attempted to cover as much as we could and sprayed throughout the night water on plants. By the end of the night it was 27 degrees on our higher ground and probably around 23 on our lower. The damage was extensive but I think much will recover (ie. winter squash with only the upper leaves scorched).
I am wondering what advice folks have for emergency frost so that I can be better prepared for the future. i.e.--I sprayed plants as soon as the plants hit 32. Would have you done this different? Also, afterwards a farmer spoke about starting his alfalfa bales on fire and the smoke from them created enough of a blanket to protect the plants. Has anyone tried this?
--Gary Brever