market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] price barriers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] price barriers
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:34:17 -0500

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 07:25:10AM -0500, Joan Vibert wrote:
> > Our markets seem to have a trend of being a little slower this year, with
> > less
> > people going through, however we seem to be up on sales for the year so
> > far.
> > How are your markets fairing so far this year, better or down some?
>
> Our market is quite a bit slower than last year and none of us can figure it
> out - I'd be very interested to know how others on the list are finding
> their markets this year. We've wondered about gas prices keeping them away

Our markets are generally down. With the exception of our biggest well
promoted market, which is significantly up.

Many years ago, we tried and failed to sell blackberries in gallons for
$6. "Why would anyone want a portion as tiny as a pint?" I asked
myself. Well, they do and it is beyond me. We started at $1 pints
and, over the years, went to $1.50, $2, $2.50, $3, and now $4 on the
season tails. We have considered going to half pints, but have not.
We are having fair success selling 5qt boxes for $20. Really, I'd
rather sell them all in bulk boxes than deal with packing them in
pints. We are now using mostly clamshell pints because open top pint
baskets handle so slowly at the markets; we sell 15-30 dozen in three
hours at our "good" market. The drawback is that clamshells are much
more costly to fill before the markets.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die