market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] table grapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] table grapes
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:35:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/04 7:39:52 AM Central Daylight Time, joan AT windwalker-farm.com writes:

Does anyone on the list grow table grapes in the mid-west or further east.

The grape business has really came back in our area,but for making wine only.  According to all grape experts is that we are in the wrong climate in the mid-west for growing table grapes.  They claim that they will be bitter to the taste, so everyone I know that are growing in this part of the country are wine making varieties.  Here in the Losse Hills area there used to be a lot of grapes grown here but when 24D came out it pretty well took care of all the old vines.  The last few years they have really had a big push to get it strated again.

Phil