market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] price barriers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] price barriers
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:25:10 -0500

> Our markets seem to have a trend of being a little slower this year, with
> less
> people going through, however we seem to be up on sales for the year so far.
> How are your markets fairing so far this year, better or down some?

Our market is quite a bit slower than last year and none of us can figure it
out - I'd be very interested to know how others on the list are finding
their markets this year. We've wondered about gas prices keeping them away
and just shopping for produce at their closer grocery; if in fact more
people are eating out and not cooking; etc. when we ask our regulars who
have recently begun coming they all have busy stories to tell - working on
their house and all so I'm not sure what's going on but its really hurting
some of us. I've gone back to a specialized small CSA for customers who
don't have time to shop. They've given me a weekly range and I fill it.
Seems to work and we're both happy.

On the pricing - the same think happened this week. I had small red
hamburger onions that the tops had already dried on. Last week I put them
in bunches of 5 for $3. This week we put a half pound of them in pint boxes
and the customers snapped them up. I'm finding the more you can give them
"portions" the quicker they seem to buy - some items!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas