market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] price barriers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] price barriers
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:24:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:25:10 -0500, Joan Vibert wrote:

> Our market is quite a bit slower than last year and none of us can figure it
> out - I'd be very interested to know how others on the list are finding
> their markets this year. We've wondered about gas prices keeping them away
> and just shopping for produce at their closer grocery; if in fact more
<snip>

One of the things I have noticed in the Los Angeles area is that the
big 2 supermarkets, Ralphs and Vons, have increased the quantities
of local and organic produce offered in the stores and are advertising
the fact widely.

If your market is experiencing lower volume, I recommend that you
run by the local supers and check out the produce departments to
see what competitive actions, if any, they are taking to thwart your
markets' successes.

> On the pricing - the same think happened this week. I had small red
> hamburger onions that the tops had already dried on. Last week I put them
> in bunches of 5 for $3. This week we put a half pound of them in pint boxes
> and the customers snapped them up. I'm finding the more you can give them
> "portions" the quicker they seem to buy - some items!

Recent (last few years) market research shows that consumers
are interested in manageable portions that produce little waste.
They want to eat what they buy. They are conditioned to paying
more for less and don't seem to mind.

You may also find that smaller portions of fruits sell better in
light of the low carbohydrate regimens that many people
are adopting. Vegetables may sell at higher prices than
in the past if their low or no carb status is promoted at
market.

Good luck at market!

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming