market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] table grapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] table grapes
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:58:55 -0500

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 03:05:00PM -0500, Bill Shoemaker wrote:
> We've had a trial of grape cultivars at our Research Center in St Charles,
> IL (west of Chicago) since 1998. It includes 6 seedless table grape
> cultivars, including Reliance, Canadice, Einset, Marquis, Vanessa and
> Glenora. I think the first 2 could be grown commercially here, the middle 2
> would be marginal for hardiness and the last 2 are too tender for our
> Winters. The fruit quality is very good though. I've tried them out on
> quite a few people. They don't always agree which is best but they all seem
> to think they like them better than the grapes in the grocery stores. I
> think that's largely because we ripen them fully but the shipping industry
> does not.

While I am a lot farther south than the guy posing the question, I
noticed this mention of CanadaIce go by. Surprisingly, CanadaIce did
fairly well for us in this 600 hour area. Best was Mars, Venus did ok,
Reliance shattered. Pierces Disease got them all and I am left with
(seeded) Munson varieties.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die