market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: table grapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: table grapes
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 07:15:05 -0400

We grow seeded grapes (on Lake Erie) and I kinda agree with Bill's comments
regarding the amount of work and money involved, but I do not know what
trellis and training system you might be considering. Our half acre of
grapes came with the farm. Depending on the size of planting you have in
mind, the cost is not that much of an obstacle, especially considering the
length of time the grapes will be in production.

I do not find disease and pests that bad of a problem. Granted my Concords
and Niagara's do not look like the grape bunches in the store but the
customers eat them just the same.

What I do like, is the pruning and tying (at least compared to pruning
apples).

My two biggest problems are keeping the weeds under control, which have
actually never been under control; and raccoons. Our grapes adjoin several
acres of woods.

Which brings me to the picking part. Last year was great in that we had a
cool spell when it was time to pick, read NO WASPS, BEES, HORNETS, ETC. The
prior year, it was sweltering hot and lucky for me, we had a hired hand.

Other point on picking is that the grapes will not wait forever. They will
all be ready to pick around the same time, not like strawberries for
instance.

My two cents, and eight years, with Concord and Niagara.

Tom Anslow
Catawba Island, Ohio