market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: 20% Vinegar for weed control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Karen Sutherland" <ksutherland AT hampshire.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: 20% Vinegar for weed control
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:21:50 -0400

>From Sonoma County Grape Growers Association Tool Box

April 2003 Organic Producer Group Meeting Notes

The first Organic Producers Group meeting on April 23, 2003, was hosted by
Davis Bynum Winery at 8065 Westside Rd, Healdsburg from 12 noon to 2:00 pm.
Jack Larsen, organic vineyard manager, discussed the important topic of Weed
Control.

Methods discussed to manage weeds included hot foam that was applied the
prior week, propane burning, and mechanized equipment, e.g. Sunflower, Weed
Badger, Grundel, and Clemens weed knife.

Jack thought the propane burner is fairly costly and not real effective,
especially if done too late when weeds are too big. Timing is everything,
and two passes made, one early in the season when the weeds were younger and
more succulent, followed by a later pass would be more effective. The mature
vines were not hurt by this method.

Equipment discussed included the Sunflower - good with mulch -the Weed
Badger, and the Grundel. The Weed Badger was rented last year and was tough
to use, as the soil is rocky under the vines. A more rugged machine is
needed to survive the wear and tear of this type of use. The Grundel has
smaller blades.

Foam acts as an insulation, giving longer contact of the hot water with the
weeds. It is safer than propane and has less chance of harming the vine. Hot
foam kills bindweed, bermuda grass and has proved to be very effective on
poison oak. Jack will try to have Ian Webster from Australia do a
demonstration treatment. Apparently foam is extremely popular in Australia.

Weed types discussed included: nutsedge - need to cultivate before it goes
to seed; morning glory - has gone down 50% due to cover crops; and bermuda
grass - is a problem, have to disc, burn, and stay on it, can be
out-competed by tall grass. One vineyard uses 1200 sheep for weed control on
800 acres. Buena Vista does not use sheep due to compaction concerns. One
grower explained that sheep could work well if cordons are high enough.
Thirteen sheep in the summer and 4 cows in the winter were used on 5 acres
in the Goldridge area. The cows create holes though.

Vinegar mixes used in spraying was easier and more effective and did not
disrupt the soil.

Permanent cover crops of native grasses, legumes and winter clover (crowds
weeds well) are the options for management of weeds in vineyards.

C 1997- 2003 Sonoma County Grape Growers Association
Site designed by: Design Solutions

Anybody know anything about this foam weed control?
Or which tall grasses can outcompete without bringing their own set of
problems?

Best wishes,

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm