market-farming - [Market-farming] Mower Troubles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mower Troubles
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:17:06 -0400

I've inherited a Murray riding lawnmower that I'd like to put into service doing some incidental mowing in the garden. This thing is probably 10 years old, hasn't been used much, has been sitting for two years and won't start right now. It has an 11horse Briggs and Stratton engine. I can start it by pouring gas into the carb. It dies after that gas is burned. I've got supply-line gas to the carb, so I assume the 'float' needle or something like that in the carb is stuck, undoubtedly something due to sitting for 2 years with gas in the tank.

Anyone work out a way of making through this "no start" situation without an overhaul?

thanks

-Allan Balliett