market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] unsustainable organic farming/ was organic seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] unsustainable organic farming/ was organic seeds
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:02:43 -0500

Paul, somebody needs to take a step forward. No offense, I'm sure your a
real great guy and love your share of trees too, but a start has to be made
in everything. Not everyone can sit and be a naysayer. What do you
suggest, having no standards?? Using organic seeds is one step closer to
using, in your words, sustainable seeds - I'll take the step every time my
man.

sean albiston

From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>

> Buying organic produce is the life-or-death support the organic "industry"
needs. Nobody will succeed or fail on the sales of organic seeds. Yes,
yes, if we buy seeds not labled "organic" then "the seeds could be produced
in a non-sustainable way."

> As a matter of fact, you can meet all the federal standards till Hell
freezes over and still produce in a non-sustainable way. Now why would I say
such a thing? The fact is, federal standards don't require anybody to
replenish the life of the soil with organic fertilizers, earthworms, etc.
etc. As Coleman pointed out, they're only concerned with what you DON'T put
on your plants or in your soil, never with what you do or don't do to build
up soil health or productivity and disease resistance.

> To make it clearer: they don't care if you never use organic fertilizers
of any kind, they only care if you use chemicals that aren't allowed or
sources that aren't allowed.

> Bottom line: seeds labeled organic don't tell us anything about whether
they were produced sustainably or not.