market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The Use of Chemical Fertilizers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The Use of Chemical Fertilizers
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:13:18 -0400

On Wed, 05 May 2004 10:55:23 -0400, you wrote:

>Sorry, Sean, I don't care whether Coleman would or wouldn't
>use Miracle Grow on his seedlings, or whether you would or
>wouldn't.
>
>I use chemical fertilizer on the seedlings in my living
>room. It works for me.
>
>I don't particularly care what you think about it either.

My post was overly confrontational in tone, perhaps, and if
so, I apologize for that, while standing firm on the
substance.

I should have perhaps explained it. At age 60, I am no
longer a purist about many things and I find that very few
things are absolutely black or white.

Here's a (true) analogy: We buy our wheat direct from the
grower, once a year. From the wheat, we grind flour and
bake bread - bread being our primary use of wheat. (We also
use the wheat for pancakes, muffins, quick breads etc.)

When I bake bread using the bread machine (to save time and
work), I cannot make *really* excellent bread using the
freshly ground wholewheat flour only (although I can do so,
using the sponge method, when I make bread by hand).

So my bread-machine recipe consists of 3 and 2/3 cups
freshly ground whole wheat flour from wheat purchased
directly from the grower, and 1 cup of (purchased) white
bread flour.

Does this make the whole exercise worthless and should I
then cease to buy my wheat directly from the grower and buy
cotton-and-air white bread from the supermarket? I don't
think so.

Along the same lines, while I realize that you disapprove of
the use of chemical fertilizer on seedlings by people whose
cats dig up seedlings growing in their living room when they
use fish or seaweed emulsion, I can live with your
disapproval of this practice.

Cheers,
Pat