market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The Use of Chemical Fertilizers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The Use of Chemical Fertilizers
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:14:58 -0500

Pat and fellow chemical users,

I would digress and suggest that you search out a more sustainable
alternative than chemicals for your seedlings, especially since you do seem
to care about what you produce. I am glad that the federally imposed
standard preclude folks who want to skirt the edges of 'organic'. The
federal rules have enough flexibility in them to ease any farms transition,
big and small. Yes, the rules aren't perfect, but everything needs a start.
I'm a third year micro-farmer, first year NOP and have had zero problems
with the standards. I agree fully with the idea of genuine local food, but
the federal standards were also obviously needed to keep some farmers out,
especially those who are willing to use chemicals at any level of the cycle
for the sake of convenience. .

Coleman's ideologies about beyond organic can be seen as being on the
better side of organic; what you suggest, at least on the inputs level, is
on the lesser. Would Mr. Coleman use miracle grow on his seedlings??

sean albiston
www.bluerooforganics.com