market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The Use of Chemical Fertilizers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The Use of Chemical Fertilizers
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:26:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2004 8:34:28 AM Mountain Daylight Time, tradingpost AT gilanet.com writes:
loopholes for industrial agribusiness but burdensome and unnecessary paperwork for the smaller growers.
I am NOP and OCIA certified. I have read the NOP rules cover to cover several times and am not aware of any "loopholes" for industrial agribusiness. One of my mentors is one of the largest organic grower in the country "Grant Family Farms" and I can assure you that they follow the same rules as I do. As a matter of fact Lew Grant has been growing organically since the 60's on a large commercial scale, long before the NOP came into play. I personally do not find the paperwork to be burdensome and unnecessary, as a matter of fact, I have found the record keeping to significantly increase productivity on my operation. It is good growing practice whether certified organic or not.

That said, I have friends that grow in many different ways...organic, conventional and everywhere in between. Certifying organic was the right thing for my operation but I do not believe that it is the only way to do things. This list is about sharing techniques and methods and I do not see any grower as better than any other because of the personal practices that they choose to use for their operation.

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of life!