market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transplanting broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transplanting broccoli
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:59:41 -0400

Growing broccoli in New Jersey in the spring can be very tricky. A sudden
heat wave in May or June for a few days like we are having today will cause
the broccoli to bolt into seed or at least stunt out and be bitter tasting.
In the northern hill country of Sussex and Warren
counties the spring and summers are cooler and broccoli does better.
Broccoli grows best as a fall crop in NJ. If you grow them this spring you
will not need row tunnels, 5 week old transplants grow the best, in southern
NJ its best to field plant no latter than April first.
Try seeding a crop late July and transplant mid August to Sept. first...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.