market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] transplanting broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] transplanting broccoli
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:31:43 +0000

We usually set ours out after they've 4 true leaves -- about 4 weeks old. Our spring broccoli we usually transplant under Reemay (for warmth and bug protection), but we've had a warm spring this year and they did fine without.

Broccoli loves rich soil. We usally work in 1" of turkey manure before planting, and get great harvests. (But not TOO rich soil -- one year we added 2" of manure and killed some of the seedlings...)

Ken Bezilla
East Wind
southern Missouri, zone 6b

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring