market-farming - [Market-farming] U-pick apples

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] U-pick apples
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:25:02 -0400

Hello,

We are considering going U-pick on apples this year. Our trees have finally
been brought down in height and narrowed in the rows, to accommodate
U-pickers, and I intend to fill the couple of old groundhog holes. We would
appreciate some input from other folks doing U-pick.

Questions/concerns:

Our insurance agent has said that we may do this, without additional
coverage/premiums as long as (1) no ladders, and (2) no tractor rides.

Do you post rules and point them out to the people? Does anyone use a
written/signed 'release' form? (Am I too paranoid?)

What do you have them pick into?

Are you selling by weight or volume?

How do you set your pricing (U-pick compared to retail at your market)?

Any other considerations?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market