market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transplanting broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jim Gage" <jdgage AT hurleycomputers.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transplanting broccoli
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:29:13 -0500

For the grower that wants to put in a few cole crops -- I have always used
one gallon milk jugs, bottms cut off, over broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower,
etc, with plants having reasonably large first true leaves. Leave the cap
off for a bit of aeration, and mound the dirt onto the jugs or they will
blow all over the place. I usually leave them on until the plants are
busting out of the jugs.

Re: fertilization of cole crops. I have a ready source of straw/cow manure
mix -- fairly fresh. When I take the jugs off, I heap 4" of manure around
all of the plants. The soil stays cool and moist, and the manure percolates
through the soil versus fert burn. I always have had great crops (even
cauliflower, which sometimes is persnickity re: changes in temperature) and
it keeps the broccoli going into the summer for side shoot cuttings.

Jim Gage