market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:47:30 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:49:54 -0600, Marie Kamphefner wrote:

> This is a crime! How did our system get so screwed up? How can we
> change things?

<snip>
>> We have thousands of acres of peaches in the county yet the supermarkets
>> will be selling "Fresh California Peaches" when our local crop is in
>> season...

Marie and all,

There are certainly parts of the system that are screwed up
and big time. Misallocating energy resources to ship food
cross country may be one of them. But maybe not...

The free enterprise part of selling across state lines
is one of the things which makes the US a great place
to live.

If local NJ peaches can't hold their own against California
peaches, either the product or the marketing of the product
is deficient. A good local product has a much better story
to tell than an import when it is handled correctly.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming