market-farming - [Market-farming] Re:Food quality

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HoeManGray AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:29:22 EST

In a message dated 3/29/04 4:42:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org writes:

After reading the many ideas on this subject, I decided to post too. I am
joint owner of a commercial orchard with my husband, his brother and his
wife.
We also lease my mother-in-law's orchard. Total, 127 acres of cherries,
pears,
and apples. Except for the cherries, we're cutting it all down. Market
pricing does not allow us to recover our costs of production on a consistent
basis. And even though we made the move towards organic certification, the
costs
were too great for the next few years coupled with huge uncertainty regarding
where to market our not organic and not conventional fruit.

The consumers do rely too much on appearance, and don't truly understand what
it takes to get a shiny apple or blemish free pear.

<< I think most consumers rely too much on appearance and do not excersize
> discretion on other qualities. I'm amazed at the responses of people to
truly ripe, fresh, quality produce. While some are favorable amazed, others
show preference to underripe, not-so-fresh produce typical of the local
market.

I continuously educate people about how to ripen winter pears, and how
wonderful they are and am always told that they love the hard, crunchy pears
instead! Ugh!

And, I shipped a new product to some friends in Kansas - pear bars, made here
in Oregon - and these folks said they were awful! I teased them and told them
they were too used to salt and sugar and not natural flavors! So, I believe
consumers' eyes and taste buds have been tampered with.

If we could find a way to teach consumers about the true costs of food
production (healthy/organic/sustainable food production), then maybe more
farmers
would be willing to "stay in" farming. Here in our valley, too many orchards
are being cut down and new avenues pursued, hopefully not subdivision
developments...but, other income and food producing ventures.

Great discussion everyone - thanks - you all keep me thinking positively!
Wendy Gray - Oregon
Cutflowers For You - fresh flowers
Stillwater Ranch - orchard business