market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:51:58 -0500

Same story in the east. In NJ we have ideal conditions for growing peaches.
And
growers here have no problem producing a blemish free product, 2003 was one
of the
biggest crops ever, yet the crop has barely made any profits in the last 20
years and
acreage is at the lowest in 100 years.
The commercial size farm that depends on shipping, which is the majority of
our
producers, are suffering the most.
There are great opportunities for the small guy with a few hundred trees who
direct
markets the crop.
There is simply too much product being imported thanks to cheap fuel. We have
thousands of acres of peaches in the county yet the supermarkets will be
selling
"Fresh California Peaches" when our local crop is in season...
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.