market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:39:12 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 OakCamp2 AT aol.com wrote:

> Matt,
> One thing that I can think of is low temperatures, or possibly cold plus
> wind
> blowing across the top of the soil. Sounds like tundra conditions :-)

Ok, more info for ya.

1. The wind can get pretty strong here, but other seedlings are doing ok.

2. Up until a few days ago, I've been taking the seedling trays in and out
of my house every day (I don't have a greenhouse). I've got about 20
trays at the moment, each with between 50 and 80 seedlings per tray, so
it's not too terribly insane -- just a lotta back-n-forth. Our lows are
now in the high 30's to low 40's, so seelings like lettuce and other
cold-loving plants shouldn't mind. And, as I said above, other seedlings
are doing ok.

My guess is that it's a fungus or mold. The strange thing is that the
root systems on all these babies look *really* good, although they're
rootbound. I figure anything would be after being in a containter for 3+
months!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce