market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:Food quality
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:05:19 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:01:40 -0600, you wrote:

> And don't believe for a minute that California peaches
>are "better". They are emphatically NOT better. They are hard as a rock and
>will not ripen. They have no flavor. They are horrible. Quality is not a
>part of the equation because free choice for the consumer is not an option
>in the supermarket.

Wow, you got *that* right!

We buy frozen peaches from an Agway twice-a-year truckload
sale: they're *a lot* nicer than supermarket peaches, at
least they some flavor. They're not as good as fresh local
peaches would be though.

Peaches don't grow in our immediate area (northcentral PA in
the mountains), but I'd jump at the chance to buy some good
Jersey peaches!

Jersey produce is *the best* - corn, tomatoes, peaches,
blueberries. We lived in south Jersey a couple of years
ago, and really enjoyed the farm stands there.

Pat