market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tobacco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tobacco
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:23:27 EST

In a message dated 3/24/2004 2:23:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com writes:
As for tobacco's pesticide quality, it was used as a wormer for cattle &
horses for many many years.

Thanks, Liz.  Really good tobacco does smell wonderful, doesn't it?  And I remember, when I was a kid, I used to "borrow" cigarettes from Mom and dose my horses every month.  Guess it worked; they never got any other wormer.

So, why do the grasshoppers eat it?   Our dozen plants last year were pretty well spoiled by grasshoppers.  Of course, they will also eat paint off houses...
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm