market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] tobacco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] tobacco
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:16:48 -0600

Regards to the list:

Last time we discussed growing tobacco, someone called me insane because
I wanted to grow it and I was offended. I guess I’m over it now.

I too, am part native American and there is just something about it that
I want to have it. I am past wanting to smoke it, but I love the smell.
When I was little and we had company, all the ladies would gather in the
kitchen and all the men would sit around in the living room, playing
cards and smoking. I used to sit somewhere out of the way near the men
so I could be by the smoke. Most of those old guys used tobacco out of
a red can. They kept it in a pocket in the front of their overalls.
They lit their matches on their legs or fingernails.

My dad raised some tobacco for my grandfather once and he said "That's
the worst-tasting damned stuff I ever smoked!" I don't remember what
kind it was.

I agree that the chemicals etc used in producing tobacco commercially
are probably what kills people.

*sigh*

Marie in Missouri

Well, perhaps I did start a fire storm!  Tobacco has been used for
centuries without killing people, but suddenly, it kills.