market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tobacco and Black leaf 40

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tobacco and Black leaf 40
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:58:59 -0500

Whether you grow tobacco organically or not, with or without pesticides, the
plant IS a pesticide. Folks on this site will chastise me for advocating
pesticides yet in their next wheezing breath smoke a pesticide. shame shame
shame. only a fool would smoke a pesticide...

Any of you old timers who grew chickens back in the good old days will
remember Black Leaf 40. We used to paint the roosts with it. It was made
from tobacco. When the birds slept the heat from their bodies would activate
the nicotine/sulfur vapors and kill body lice.
I have not seen any lately but Amish folks used to sell tobacco dust as an
insecticide.
BTW if you want to know how "not so good" the "good old days" were, If we
did not use nicotine on chickens we would paint their vents with a mixture
of Mercury and Vaseline to kill mites!!!.
Up until a couple years ago you could buy nicotine in metal cans that would
be ignited in the greenhouse, they would burn releasing nicotine smoke that
would get into and under every leaf and flower and kill anything that came
in contact with it, I think the hot house tomato growers used the smokes a
lot.

Tobacco buyers don't like organic tobacco or at least tobacco grown with
manure as the primary fertilizer, they would discourage the Amish from using
manure or any fertilizer containing ammonia. They say it harms the burning
characteristics, tobacco performs best with nitrate of soda, calcium or
potassium nitrate type fertilizers...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.