market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Thyme

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: kampy AT grm.net
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Thyme
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:39:45 +0000

Hi Marie -

We make that dry Scarborough Mix and sell it at farmer's markets. It's quite
popular, and wonderfully aromatic. You can use it for potpourri if you want
too, smells up a room nicely.

If you want thyme for fresh or dried culinary use, get plant starts of either
English (common) Thyme or French Thyme. Starting it from seed it will take
you a couple of years before you get a plant big enough to care about.

English Thyme is what you'll find dried and fresh at most markets. It has a
green-gray leaf and is upright growing. French Thyme has a slightly more
pungent flavor and the French insist on it for cooking - the leaves are more
green and smaller than English Thyme. It also has an upright growing habit.

Like most perennial woody herbs, thymus is easy to propagate from cuttings or
layering (bury a long stem in the ground and it will root) - and you'll get
big plants in a year that way. Also after 3 years or so, the plant starts to
get really really woody and has less harvestable leaves. If you grow lots of
thyme, the best thing is to put in new plants every year, and at the end of
the third year, rip out the first batch and replace them with new plants.
That way you always have at least two producing batches each year.

Roger Weeks
Sebastopol CA
http://www.weeksgardens.com

Message: 12