market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tobacco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tobacco
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:25:56 EST

Well, perhaps I did start a fire storm!  Tobacco has been used for centuries without killing people, but suddenly, it kills.  We reason that it may be all the chemicals - fertilizers, insecticides, etc that make tobacco so dangerous.  To say nothing of the goodies added by the cigarette companies to make us want it.  So, we would like to try growing some organically.  We did grow a few plants last year of Burley, and harvested the leaves but had no idea how to proceed from there!

Since there are people who are going to smoke no matter (including my husband) it seems that organic tobacco would be a profitable "niche" crop.  Any ideas?
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas