market-farming - [Market-farming] poison ivy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kendra Poole <ardnek710 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] poison ivy
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:11:27 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

I am extremely allergic to poison ivy. After touching a small amount I would
have a itchy/oozing rash for months no matter what products I tried. Until I
tried Jewelweed soap. Jewelweed is a wild touch-me-not type of flower that
grows in similar conditions as poison ivy (the remedy next to the poison type
of thing). It is actually an old remedy used by native americans. The oils
in the Jewelweed neutralize the oils in the poison ivy. Using it before
exposure can significantly reduce the rash that is produced or prevent one
all together. Using it on the actual rash will clear it up weeks faster than
any other product I have tried (and I've tried them all). My rashes would be
around for weeks or months without any visible releif until I used the
Jewelweed soap to wash with. Within days, the rashes were almost gone and I
had no itching. I didn't have to use anything else with the soap. You can
get this online or in most herbal stores. They make a glycerin based soap
that is wonderful and can be used on all itchy skin. They also make a soak
for the tub for large rashes/outbreaks.
You can get jewelweed for planting in a number of seed catalogs, but I find
it in creek bottoms and marshy areas, take a leaf off the plant and rub it on
any potential exposed sites and I don't get a rash at all.
Try it if you can, I will never waste my time with any other product that can
help poison ivy. And hopefully I can start growing the Jewelweed in our
garden next year...:)
Kendra&Brooke
St.Louis,MO