market-farming - [Market-farming] poison ivy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] poison ivy
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:30:20 -0500

Shirley wrote:

Once I get it the initial blisters will become so huge they will burst and run to other parts of body then new blisters will come up. Blisters will also come up in places where I could never have been exposed to the plant. I have experienced many episodes of it and am also highly allergic to fire ant stings and other bugs. Whether it is related to the plant or my immune systems 'the myths ain't myths'.

Technically, you are having an autoimmune reaction in all those places where you weren't touched by poison ivy, but still have all the problems. That's why steroids are prescribed -- to calm down the immune system so you can recover not necessarily from your poison ivy exposure, but your immune system's panic at the "trigger" (in this case, poison ivy, fire ants and other fun bugs).

If you can get the stuff off you before your body notices (Fels Nappa soap is the choice agent around here, but any lye soap will do), you can head off the problems. Besides jewel weed, balsam is works the same, comes in lots of colors, reseeds itself readily and seems to make pollinators happy -- what more can you ask of a plant? ;-)

I don't care what the homeopathic people say (and I do use arnica) -- I'm *NEVER* putting anything that came from a poison ivy plant in my mouth -- y'all can all be braver than me! ;-D

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of