market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoop house plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bill AT farmerbill.downhomecountry.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoop house plastic
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:48:01 +0100

Kendra,

For a 4'-wide bed would you be better off just putting the hoops
directly in the ground, and having a cloche that is 4x4x24'? I have as
many as 10 of these going depending on the season and what needs to be
covered. I use 1/2"x10' pvc arches @ ~ $1.10 apiece spaced 2-3' apart
and either 4 or 6 mil plastic 12'x100'. The 4 mil runs about $29 at the
local hardware store and lasts a couple of seasons. I scotch the plastic
with either chunks of firewood or fenceposts and a couple of additional
pvc hoops over the top. Just throw the plastic back to work inside. Had
some onions, mustard, spinach and kale overwinter here in Ohio, with
temps getting down to 0F 3 days in a row.

BTW this past weekend we built our first hoophouse 10x55x6 1/2' tall
using plans from the attra.org site-looks good so far, cost about $280.

Bill