market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] GMOs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <roger69 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] GMOs
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:14:58 -0800 (PST)

One thing to consider is while some of the major food crops like corn,
wheat and canola all have airborne pollen that can be widely spread by
weather conditions, many other vegetables do not.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant, for instance, do not spread pollen via
the wind, and will only be crosspollinated under unique conditions.
I've grown jalapenos next to anaheim peppers year after year, saved the
seed and always come back with the same variety.

I'm sure this is the case for other plants as well. Even squash, which
is a notorious cross-pollenizer, needs bees to do that work, and not
the weather.

Roger Weeks

Message: 15