market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Commercial Kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Commercial Kitchen
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:18:48 EST

In a message dated 12/14/03 5:03:53 AM US Eastern Standard Time, arupiper AT bright.net writes:
I would like to find out how to build a commercial kitchen that the Farmer's Market could have for its vendors. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best place to look for the rules and regulations, possible grants, etc? Thanks, Pat

Pat
The first stop should be the local health department - ie the one in the county that the market is in.  These people will be the ones to regulate what happens in the county.  Having said that you should also be aware that state health dept may be involved if you choose to locate the kitchen outside the county of the market.

I am sure that the basics of the kitchen are not that different, (ie upteem sinks (6), washable walls/floors, refridgerator and vents, door seals etc etc.).  Having put in one, and given a talk on the subject - I strongly suggest you start by getting the local people on your side - they can be helpful, but they do not take kindly to people who try and skirt the rules.

Options besides your own kitchen that I came across (maynot be applicable in all states/counties).  Any church/private kitchen can be used, if approved and if proper storage and transportation is used.  This can be a simple as a 'Store-It' type facility so long as your unit has its own entrance and washable/sealed surfaces.

The problem with a community kitchen though, is also that of who uses it, how much do you charge, where and how much storage people have for their products.  I have heard of people doing these and I know of one in the Amish community not far from here. One place to look for funding/logistics might be thru the Count Extenson  agencies.

Good luck - the winter is a great time to organize the logistics of this, and all projects.
Katy