market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] germination/weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] germination/weather
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:56:22 -0400

Some of the things are late-espcially the nightshades but the melons, cukes and zukes will do just fine as they tend to be fast crops. Night shades self pollinate and the melons and zukes are hand pollinated cukes are types that need no hand pollination.

the hoophouses stay above warm enough if there are water buckets (heat sinks) and extra layers of row covers and it doesn't get below 25?F at night. Since it generally stays pretty warm here until Mid/late december we generally get a crop of cucabrits. We also start these things and get them in hoophouses in the spring when there is still snow on the ground in Mid march.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste