market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] germination/weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] germination/weather
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:14:53 -0400

One of these years, we're going to have normal weather so I can start
getting an accurate picture of this new climate, arrgghhh!!!

Liz Pike

Normal weather, what a hoot Liz

Despite being flooded 4 times this year we have done alright. only one total failure-celery and a few partial failures with the eggplant, peppers and green and dried beans. Our tomatoes have done well for us as have the cantaloup. The water melons would have liked a drier and hotter summer. i believe we did so well with tomatoes because we use IRT SRM red plastic mulch this year on all 350.

We have had next to no bugs until about 2 weeks ago when the cuke beetle population started to explode in the zucchini and squash bugs started to get heavy in the butternut but vacuuming and hand picking is keeping things at a manageable level.

We have been doing lots of fall planting-salad mix, roots like parsnips, turnips, beets. Some melons in a hoophouse and eggplant and cukes planned for another hoophouse. Plus getting areas ready for cover crops and the late fall stuff like garlic.

Personally I have given up on ever seeing "normal" weather again.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste