market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:28:02 -0400

Best price on Astro arugula seed I found was from Harris seeds at $14.50 a pound.
Farmers around here grow alot of arugula, most of the arugula in the country is grown in south Jersey. These guys buy up the seed in 5 gallon pail quanties, thats why the seed supply is short. Prices are actually low at this time arugula in 4/5 bushel crates sells for $6-11  at our auction market...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Bill McKay wrote:

I will try not to be too self serving, but since someone mentioned me, why
not.  Italian arugula is of really high quality and it happens to be pretty
reasonably priced.  Regular cultivated arugula is $17 pound (actually a half
kilogram which is 17 ounces) and their special selection cultivated arugula
is $18/pound.  The special selection seems to be a bit milder and a bit more
uniform than the regular cultivated.  I was really impressed with it inthis
years comparison trial.

Speaking of arugula, there was a wild arugula crop failure in Italy this
year.  I am not sure where most US seed companies get their seed, but
Italian wild arugula at least will be in short supply in 2004.

Bill McKay

US Distributor for Italian vegetable, herb and flower seeds from Franchi
Sementi spa, Bergamo, Italy  www.growitalian.com

http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000001&CAT=000001&BACK