market-farming - [Market-farming] germination/weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Courtney McLeod" <cmcleod AT imscompany.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] germination/weather
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:26:24 -0400

One of these years, we're going to have normal weather so I can start
getting an accurate picture of this new climate, arrgghhh!!!

Liz Pike

Liz,
Where are you located? Just curious from your climate stating "new
climate". I am in zone 5 and it has been a terrible year for just about
anything. The only thing that came in well was Corn, even after it was
blown down! And my cabbage. The heads are huge and fairly bug free???
I thought for sure with a hundred thousand inches of rain we got this
year, that bugs would have been a huge issue with everything. Our corn
is worm free and we did not do a thing to it. The cabbage has very few,
if any slugs. But no cucumber's, or squash or pumpkins as all are being
lost as we speak from fungus from all the rain. I have a million of
tomatoes but they are all green. I have 72 plants of 19 varieties, that
I was excited about trying in my area, and none of them are turning. I
even went through and tied them for the 3rd time to get them exposed to
the sun. But that has not helped yet. They are still green. I bet I
have not even picked a bushel of tomatoes this year. So much for
canning! I also have done some fall planting, the sugar snaps and beans
are coming up nicely. And I planted buttercrunch and spinach so far for
lettuce. This week I am planting 2 kinds of Mache lettuce. So we will
see how that does.

Courtney
Herb Thyme