market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: Dave Campbell <dave.kathy AT att.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:12:03 +0000

Hi, David!

Well, you know light bends when it goes into and out of water. If the water
has sugar in it, or other solutes, the light will bend even more. So, I
guess the refractometer just measures how much the light beam bent and
translates that into equivalent sugar content. It doesn't break the light
into a spectrum, though.

I don't have a refractometer yet, though I do have one on order from Brushy
Mountain Bee Farm, www.beeequipment.com. They have a special on them right
now, about $75. Their refractometers are specific to measure water content
of honey--if your honey is too watery (that is, if you foolishly extracted it
before the bees had fully evaporated it dry enough) then it will ferment on
you. Which you don't want, usually.

No, I definitely did NOT nean nutrient value has anything to do with ionic
content; in fact, I was trying to say the opposite. My point was that
electrical conductivity depends (among other things, actually) on free ions
in the pore water, and that an ohm meter measurement will reflect them. But
I doubt that sugars and/or most nutrients fall into the category of free
ions. One respondent mentioned that ohm meters can be used on wet wood to
check moisture in it, which I'm sure is true. The resulting reading,
however, will not tell the true electrical resistance of the wood. However,
it may give a relative index of moisture, at least if properly calibrated.

Okay. Hope that helps?

Dave Campbell
Tiffin Iowa