market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Guthrie" <dguthrie AT egyptian.net>
  • To: <bockpa AT plesh.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:22:27 -0500

Hi Paul:

I looked at the penetrometers (sp?) since we have clay soils.
Refractometers are a bit down the road for me.

see the following:

www.pikeagri.com

this is the company (i think) Dr. Dan Skow is associated with. they build
on Carey Reams principles of brix levels in plants etc. Skow's book,
Mainline Farming (i think that's the title) discusses what you ask about.
Kinsey emphasizes testing brix etc. to determine soil fertility isn't
necessarily the best idea, but for measuring rfv etc. refractometer is the
point. Skow is interesting. The point from some of these predecessors of
modern alternative ag is that soils determine nutrition of the food that's
grown on them. Skow also talks about ionization of nutrients in the plant
that then is more consumable to animals and humans, I seem to recall.

David Guthrie
dguthrie AT egyptian.net