market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: <dave.kathy AT att.net>, bockpa AT plesh.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:38:30 +0000

>I suppose it would be possible to use an ohm meter to measure the solution
concentration. Specifically I want to look at plant health and determine
when the highest nutrient density is reached in a plant. The ohm meter
might work well for a vat of syrup, honey, or pail of maple sap, but
checking the sap concentration of a clover plant might be difficult with an
ohmmeter.<

Actually, this ohm-meter thing is a subject I have a bit of professional
experience with, and I know: it doesn't work, even in a vat of liquid. Ohm
meters are made to measure circuits, with wires going around, and a vat
doesn't have clear current paths of that sort. Actually, most pH meters
(which will work in vats) actually measure electrical conductivity and
translate it over to a pH value. So you could use a pH meter and UNtranslate
it, I guess. However. I don't think nutrient elements are ionic in nature,
anyway. Bottom line: forget electrical conductivity as a surrogate for
nutrients or flavor. Refractometers, instead!

Dave Campbell, retired USGS geophysicist
Tiffin Iowa