market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: bockpa AT plesh.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] refractometers and soil penetrometers
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:15:47 -0000

Refractometers are inexpensive enough that I plan on getting one.
Although I can't give you any first-hand use information, I can share
what I've found so far. Investigate these yourself.

I'm looking at a handheld refractometer, 0-32 Brix with automatic
temperature compensation (between 60-84 degrees F?, can't find the
reference right now). The better ones have temperature compensation to
100 degrees. The best ones are digital and expensive, so I scratched
those off my list. I just need a ballpark figure so I can monitor
changes.

That should give me a tool for pasture analysis, vegetable and fruit
ripeness, and some IPM capability.

Pike Agri-Lab has a broad range of tools, but I can't find a price list.
I think I have to call or email them for it.
http://www.pikeagri.com/

A cheaper version of an automatic temperature compensated refractometer.
http://www.specmeters.com/IPM_and_Plant_Health_Tools/Refractometer.html

A better version of an automatic temperature compensated refractometer.
http://www.QAsupplies.com/2006044.html

And, of course, Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
http://www.groworganic.com/a/item_TM301_RefractometerATC.html

Peaceful Valley is the only company that I've bought from before. Pike
has enough references from other places that I'm comfortable with them.
The others are recommended by Google. :-)

Soil penetrometers are carried at Pike and at Gemplers.

--
-----
Art Petrzelka