market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yellow/Orange Tomatoes ripening better this year?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yellow/Orange Tomatoes ripening better this year?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:42:26 -0700

Here in Western Washington we are having the summer you eastern farmers usually have (and it sounds like you have ours). Its been hot and dry. For the first time ever, tomatoes are ripening well. I've had them in CSA shares for two weeks now. I'm growing 150 plants, mostly reds, in hoophouses. The Sweet 100's, Northern Delight, Stupice and a large greenhouse variety whose name I don't have (maybe Buffalo), are all ripening now. Taxi and Amana orange are both still very green. I haven't worried much about late blight, since those cool wet conditions are absent so far this year. Deer did walk into the open hoophouses one night and pruned almost every plant in ways I hadn't planned. I close the doors now.
But, thanks for the tip. Next year I'll plant more of the yellow/orange tomatoes on the assumption that our normal rainy cool climate will reassert itself.
Molly Petersons
Whidbey Island
Washington